|This shows the difficulties we have when dealing with beerhouses. This beerhouse is the MINERS ARMS, yet throughout this period the Miners Arms was also listed as a public house. Could it have been split into two premises? Licensee details for the Miners Arms do not tally so this may be the case, although the licensees appear to be from the same family, the Barsons.
Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.
Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).
- 1845 Mrs Susannah Barson (see also Holly Bush, Aldermans Green in 1861)
- 1850 Mr Samuel Barson
- 1874 William Barson
Licensee details for the Miners Arms do not tally, although the licensees appear to be from the same family, the Barsons from 1845 -79.