title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Burnt Post

photo
NAME BURNT POST
ADDRESS KENPAS HIGHWAY
There is some dispute over the derivation of this name. A hamlet called Burnt Post stood off the Kenilworth Road around its present junction with Kenpas Highway. It had a pool with an attractive huddle of thatched and timbered cottages called Burnt Post Cottages. It is claimed that this was originally called Bourne Post from a boundary marker. The more populist explanation is that Coventry's gibbet stood nearby, which is where the place name, Gibbet Hill, comes from. After its disuse, the gibbet was burnt and became the Burnt Post. Whatever the truth, it is the popular belief that the pub is named after the incinerated gibbet !

In 1929 the license for the Fountain, Cross Cheaping, was surrendered in order to facilitate the removal of that of the Boadicea, Market Place, to the Burnt Post.

In the 1980's it was quite a thriving community pub with boules/petanque played and a folk club held in the upstairs room every Sunday.
Known Licensees are;
1931 - 1933 Ernest A. Prestwick
1934 - c1963 or even later William Leslie Fletcher

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.