title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Bulls Head and Anchor

photo

Bishop Street in the 1930's

NAME BULLS HEAD AND ANCHOR
ADDRESS BISHOP STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1748 CROWN & ANCHOR
1774 1859 BULL & ANCHOR, OLDE BULL & ANCHOR, BULLS HEAD AND ANCHOR
1859 1860 RUTLAND ARMS
1861 1931 BULLS HEAD AND ANCHOR
This pub is marked on the 1851 Health Map as well as the BULLS HEAD INN, so they are seperate pubs on opposite sides of the street
Known Licensees are;
1790 William Hopkin
1800 Thomas Bant
1822 - 1829 George Whiting
1835 George Gent
1841 - 1845 Thomas Cooper
1850 - 1851 Thomas Townsend
1859 - 1860 B. G. Holton
1860 - 1863 George Burnett (see also at the Salutation Inn, London Road 1868 - 1871)
1868 H. Eaves
1868 Charles Conway
1871 Abraham Lucas
1874 John Hill
1879 Alfred John Harrison
1881 Henry Coles
1886 - 1893 J. Evans
1894 Selina Evans
1896 John Booth
1897 Will Ratliff
1903 Joseph McCarthy
1905 - 1919 James Lissaman
1921 - 1922 A. Cooper
1924 Percy Wyatt (proprietor - late of Kenilworth Castle Inn, Hertford Street 1919 - 1922)
1926 - 1932 H. Dumbleton

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.