title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Bugle

photo

Gosford Street 1924

NAME BUGLE
ADDRESS 17 GOSFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1848 1851 BUGLE
1854 1856 CASTLE INN
1856 1863 BUGLE
1863 1863 WHITE BEAR

A ' bugle ' was a wild ox and until the sixteenth century its horn was used as a drinking vessel. Its other use was as a hunting horn, giving rise to the modern sense of ' bugle ' as a musical instrument. In some cases the reference may be to a coach horn ( or post horn ) which was used by the guard on a coach

In 1848 we have mention of the Bugle public house with large carpenter's shop, large garden and a bowling alley. By 1854 it is the CASTLE INN, formerly the Bugle and in 1856 back to the Bugle. In 1863 it has become the WHITE BEAR.

Known Licensees are
1848 - 1850 Joseph Laws (Low)
1850 Samuel Lawrence (and farmer)
1856 Mr Burbury

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.