title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Buck and Crown

map
NAME BUCK AND CROWN
ADDRESS 219 - 221 RADFORD ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 43 - 47 RADFORD ROAD
A heraldic name. This pub stood alongside a row of cottages with top shops on a raised bank opposite the later Radford Hotel. it is first mentioned on 28th Novenber 1768 when articles lost between the Buck and Crown and Coventry are advertised in the Coventry Mercury. In 1801 the pub was up for let. In 1928 the license was removed to the Radford Hotel.
Known Licensees are;
1845 - 1850 Samuel Russell
1851 Thomas Russell
1861 George Addison
1879 John Smith
1893 - 1894 W. F. Walker
1903 - 1905 Arthur Elliott
1909 - 1922 Elijah Brown
1924 W. G. Woodward
1926 - 1927 F. B. Crouch
1929 R. J. Porter


+ -
Click here to see Research

Name Must be heraldic

18.4.1757 JA34 & 47 JCM Inquest held at Buck & Crown

28.11.1768 JA16 JCM Articles lost between Buck & Crown, Radford Road and Coventry

5.1.1801 JA16 JCM Pub to let

9.11.1890 LJ Vol 1 P61 BUCK AND CROWN, Radford Alehouse
Owner : Caroline Walker
later Charlotte Walker
Licensee : William James Walker
27.10.1898 TOL to Henry Walker

c1910 } CWL P72 Photos
c1925 }

1928 Police License removed to Radford Hotel

CSubs P108 Top shops existed until the late1960's on the main Radford Road as part of a group of houses on a raised bank, which included the old Buck and Crown public house.

1983 Pubscrawl 46 Stood alongside a row of cottages over the road from the building that now houses the Radford. The traditional Sunday night punch-up outside sounds quite idyllic ' It was just a sport in those days. The loser was always ducked in the horse trough '.

LICENSEES

1841 Census Samuel Russell

1845 Kelly Samuel Russell Radford

1850 Lascelles Samuel Russell Radford
1871 Census John Parker, Public house, First Radford

1879 Stevens John Smith Radford
1890 LJ Vol 1 P61 William James Walker
1893 Reporter W. F. Walker 43/47 Radford Road

1894 R&G W. F. Walker 43/47 Radford Road
1898 LJ Vol 1 P61 William James Walker
1898 LJ Vol 1 P61 Henry Walker
1903 R&G Arthur Elliott 43/47 Radford Road

1905 R&G Arthur Elliott 43/47 Radford Road

1909 R&G E. Brown 45 Radford Road

1911/12 Spennell Elijah Brown 43/47 Radford Road

1912/13 Spennell Elijah Brown 43/47 Radford Road

1919 Spennell Elijah Brown 43/47 Radford Road

1921/22 Spennell Elijah Brown 43/47 Radford Road

1924 P. James W. G. Woodward 43/47 Radford Road Inn

1926/27 P. James F. B. Crouch 219/221 Radford Road

1929 P. James R. J. Porter 219/221 Radford Road

1931/32 P. James Pub not listed

OWNERS

1890 LJ Vol 1 P61 Caroline Walker
later LJ Vol 1 P61 Charlotte Walker
1898 LJ Vol 1 P61 Charlotte Walker

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.