title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Buck and Crown

map
NAME BUCK AND CROWN
ADDRESS 49 BOND STREET
The Buck and Crown is first mentioned on 25th September 1846 when John Bailey leaves as licensee. This pub was 'a noted home - brew pub in the late nineteenth century'. In 1899 it was purchased by Phillips & Marriott and valued at £2700. However, in 1916 it was closed with only £1764 compensation paid. The name is a heraldic reference.
Known Licensees are;
to 1846 John Bailey
1850 - 1851 James (John) Evans
1861 - 1871 Susan Cole
1874 - 1896 Benjamin Coles
1900 - 1903 George Taylor
1903 Ellen Walker
1903 Arthur Elliot
1903 - 1913 George Taylor
Owners 1899 - 1916
? James Evans
? George Watts
1899 Benjamin Coles
1899 Phillips & Marriott

+ -
Click here to see Research

Name Must be heraldic

25.9.1846 JA16 CS Buck and Crown first mentioned when John Bailey was leaving.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P9 Owner : James Evans, 118 Bond Street
later Benjamin Coles
Licensee : Benjamin Coles
27.7.1899 TOL to Sarah Ann Athersuch

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

21.5.1899 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott ( plus messuage )

1899 JA48 PA 56/7/15 Conveyed from Benjamin Coles to Phillips & Marriott for £ 2700

On the corner of Bond Street and Riley Street, nos 48 & 49

Built by James Evans, respectively occupied by James Evans, Benjamin Coles, George Watts and Benjamin Coles.

30.9.1899 P&M PR Valued at £ 2700

3.7.1903 Source 40 Transfer of license from Ellen Walker to Arthur Elliot

WB P17 A noted home brew house in the late nineteenth century

25.3.1916 P&M PR License lost and pub closed. Compensation £ 1764

1920 Friedrich Home brewery until this date

LICENSEES

1846 JA16 CS John Bailey

1850 CS John Evans

1851 Census James Evans watch gilder & publican

1861 Census Susan Cole 62 yo b Water Orton widow & 1s, 2 lodgers

23.11.1868 Lantern Susannah Coles

1871 Census Susan Coles 72 yo b Water Orton & 1s, 2 gs

1874 C&B B. Coles
1878 LJ Vol1 P9 Benjamin Coles
1879 Stevens Benjamin Coles

1881 C&B B. Coles

1886 C&B B. Coles

1890/91 R&G B. Coles

1893 Reporter B. Coles

1894 R&G B. Coles

1896 R&G B. Coles
1899 LJ Vol1 P9 Benjamin Coles

1899 LJ Vol1 P9 Sarah Ann Athersuch

24.8.1900 P&M PR George Taylor

1903 Source 40 Ellen Walker

1903 Source 40 Arthur Elliot

1903 R&G G. Taylor

1905 R&G G. Taylor

1909 R&G G. Taylor

1.6.1910 P&M PR George Taylor New agreement Ceased brewing from this date

1911/12 Spennell George Taylor

1912/13 Spennell George Taylor

BREWERS

24.8.1900 P&M PR George Taylor

1.6.1910 P&M PR George Taylor Ceased brewing from this date

1920 Friedrich George Taylor

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P9 James Evans, 118 Bond Street
? JA48 PA 56/7/15 Built by James Evans
later LJ Vol1 P9 Benjamin Coles
? JA48 PA 56/7/15 Benjamin Coles
1899 JA48 PA 56/7/15 Benjamin Coles
? JA48 PA 56/7/15 George Watts
1899 JA48 PA 56/7/15 Phillips & Marriott
On the corner of Bond Street and Riley Street, nos 48 & 49 Built by James Evans, respectively occupied by James Evans, Benjamin Coles, George Watts and Benjamin Coles.

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.