title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Brewer and Baker

Brewer & Baker_South Street_Coventry_Jul10
NAME BREWERY TAP
ADDRESS BISHOP STREET

This was part of a sale by auction in 1847. The premises auctioned comprised a residence, malting offices, a compact brewery and a public house known as the Brewery Tap, all opposite the wharf in Bishop Street. The sale was due to the bankruptcy of Jordan, White and Aldridge.

Also for auction were -
New Inn, Exhall
George and Dragon, Atherstone
Royal George, Grandborough
Hop Pole, Emscote
Bell, Keresley
Dun Cow, Southam
Barley Mow, Stockton
General Wolfe, Foleshill
Grapes, Radford

The New Inn, Exhall; George and Dragon, Atherstone; Royal George, Grandborough; Bell, Keresley and Barley Mow, Stockton were all in Ratliff's estate when it merged with Phillips & Marriott in 1899, so this entry appears to refer to the Coventry Brewery in Leicester Row.

The Brewery Tap is thought to have closed c1852

Licensees are;
1850 John Jordan
1852 John Knibb
Owners;
1847 John Jordan

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.