|NAME||BOWLING GREEN INN|
|ADDRESS||75 SPON STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1868||1871||BOARD, 75 Spon Street|
|1879||1909||MELBOURNE HOTEL, MELBOURNE GARDENS|
|1910||2002||BOWLING GREEN INN|
|The name is a reference to a very popular pub game, advertising the presence of a bowling green.
This pub is said to have been built originally in c1829 as the Victoria Vaults, then becoming the Spotted Dog, the Board in 1868, the Melborne Hotel in 1879, the Melbourne Gardens in 1907, and the Granby Arms in 1909. It became the Bowling Green in 1910. The bowling green was sold and the old people's accommodation called Wellington Gardens was erected on its site. The pub was demolished and replaced with a new building in 1959.
In the 1960's, Albert Swain kept the Bowling Green. Up until 1947 he had been a professional heavyweight boxer and at one time rated fourth in the country. Swain was a Coventry man and in his younger days boxed for Cox Street Working Men's Club and was also Midlands heavyweight champion.
In 2002 the Bowling Green was refurbished and renamed the New Bowler. It closed in 2010 and was purchased by a local charity never to reopen.
|Known Licensees are;
1910 - 1912 Alfred John Jarrard
1912 - 1913 Henry Oswin
1921- 1922 W. Tranrer
1924 B. Woodward
1926 - 1929 F. A. Gregg
1931 - 1932 F. Dingley
1933 - 1936 R. J. Cooke
1937 - 1938 H. Cleaver
1939 - 1940 L. H. Pitchford
1960's Albert Swain (see below)
|Owners 1960 Mitchells & Butlers|
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.