|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||previously BEERHOUSE|
|ADDRESS||61 GRANGE ROAD, FOXFORD|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS||137 GRANGE ROAD, FOLESHILL OR LONGFORD|
|Probably a reference to the nearby canal.
In September 1849 the Boat in Grange Lane was to be let for £ 17 per annum. Then in 1890, Phipps Brewery of Northampton bought the Boat and land in Foleshill from Messrs Edors? for £250. The tennant in 1907 was Luke Whitehall who paid rent of £45 per annum.
Until 1924 this was the BEERHOUSE, Longford. It did not become a Coventry pub until Foxford became part of Coventry in 1928. The site of this pub is now under the M6 motorway.
Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.
Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).
|Known licensees are;
1849 James Sephton
1861 Francis Ralley
1871 Francis Sephton
1907 - 1940 Luke Whitehall (see Beerhouse, 61 Grange Road Foxford)
Luke Brooks (see clipping below)
Michael Stanley (see clipping below)
1960 - 1962 Victor Coulson (see clipping below)
1890 Messrs Edors ?
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.