|ADDRESS||1 SMITHFORD STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1874||1898||SPIRIT VAULTS, 1 Smithford Street|
|1893||1903||BOARD, 1 Smithford Street|
|1903||1929||COVENTRY ARMS, Smithford Street / Broadgate|
|Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board' , that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.
This became the COVENTRY ARMS
|Known Licensees are;
1868 - 1874 John Dell
1886 - 1893 Wine & Spirit Merchant licensee W. Threadwell
1894 Lucas, Blackwell and Arkwright, brewers, manager William Harrison
1898 - 1903 Lucas & Co, brewers, manager William Harrison
1905 - 1909 W. Newman
1910 - 1924 Thomas Strong
1926 - 1929 E. Reynolds
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.