title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Board Vaults

photo

Hales Street 1912

NAME BOARD VAULTS
ADDRESS 20 HALES STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1895 1909 BOARD VAULTS
1911 1998 SWANSWELL HOTEL, SWANSWELL STORES, DOWSE'S PUB
1999 INN PLACE
Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board' , that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.

This premises is first known as the Hales Street Stores, an off-license From 1895 to 1909 it is the Board public house and then from 1911the SWANSWELL HOTEL
Known Licensees are;
1896 - 1909 J. Dowse
1911 - 1919 John Dowse
1921 - 1927 Arthur J. Dowse
1927 Philip Weston
1929 A. E. Williams
1930 - 1940 Lester Mark Tarrant
1947 Thomas Boag Downing
1958 John Henry Edward Maun
1961 William George Ling
1963 onwards Les Court (see clipping above)
Owners
to 1926 Charringtons
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Beer July 2008 P9 The Board identified a person selling beer form their home - the first ( Whats Brewing Supplement ) public house - as in the 1839 Beerhouse Act

Dict PN Means ' to board intoxicating liquor '. In some cases the need for an inn to have ' a board ' suggested the name, since some inns did in fact display a blank board.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P34 BOARD, Hales Street Alehouse
Owner : John Parker
later Charrington & Co, Burton on Trent
Licensee : John Parker
4.1.1894 TOL to William Mills & Theophilus Fox
12.4.1894 TOL to John Dowse

7.5.1858 JA14 CS First mentioned as HALES STREET STORES, an off license.

Licensee John Porter, wines & spirits only

1895/6 JA14 The BOARD public house - licensee John Dowse

from 1911 See SWANSWELL HOTEL

LICENSEES


1858 JA14 CS John Porter ( off license )
1878 LJ Vol1 P34 John Parker
1894 LJ Vol1 P34 John Parker
1894 LJ Vol1 P34 William Mills & Theophilus Fox
1894 LJ Vol1 P34 John Dowse
1895/6 JA14 John Dowse

1896 R&G J. Dowse
1898 LJ Vol1 P34 John Dowse
1903 R&G J. Dowse

1905 R&G J. Dowse

1909 R&G J. Dowse

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P34 John Parker
later LJ Vol1 P34 Charrington & Co, Burton on Trent
1898 LJ Vol1 P34 Charrington & Co, Burton on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.