Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
Cross Cheaping 1892
60 CROSS CHEAPING
Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board' , that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.
In the 1860's these premises were Alexander Importers and from 1874 it was the SPIRIT VAULTS, also known as the BOARD VAULTS, 60 Cross Cheaping.
Known Licensees are;
1861 - 1868 Charles Sumner wine & spirit merchant