title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Black Swan

WELLINGTON STREET

Wellington Street 1896, the Black Swan is to the left of the picture on the corner with the lamp post. Photo courtesy of Annewiggy

NAME BLACK SWAN
ADDRESS 7 YARDLEY STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 41 YARDLEY STREET, CANTERBURY STREET

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1850 1881 BLACK SWAN
1861 1913 SWAN
This pub is first known from White's directory of 1850, when it is placed in Canterbury Street. From then on it is always in Yardley Street, until closure c1917

Known Licensees at the BLACK SWAN are;
1850-1858 Christopher Warner
1858 Louisa French
1868-1881 Josiah Morton
1890-1898 T. Owen
1903 H. Needham

Known Licensees at the SWAN are;
1868 - 1886 Josiah Morton
1890 - 1896 T. W. Owen
1903 - 1913 Humphrey Needham

photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.