title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Black Lion Inn

photo

Gosford Street 1924

NAME BLACK LION INN
ADDRESS 112 GOSFORD STREET
This is a heraldic sign usually referring to Queen Phillipa of Hainault, wife of Edward III, who was from Flanders. In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here. Coventry Records Office has a record that in 1837 G. S. Phillips's house in Gosford Street is now called the Black Lion, then in March 1838 that it is no longer called the Black Lion, although the pub did not close until c1904. Curious! In 1871 the pub had 12 lodgers !
Known Licensees are;
1841 John Gaskin
1849 John Bayliss
1849 - 1850 John Pickard
1850 - 1851 William Line(s)
1861 John Powney
1863 - 1868 Walter Edwards
1871 John Coates
1874 Joseph Cater
1878 Sarah Ann Bonham
1878 - 1886 James Tansley
1886 - 1903 Anthony Greatorex
Owners
c1837 - 1838 G. S. Phillips
1878 - 1898 James Eadie, Cross Street Brewery, Burton on Trent
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.