title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Black Horse

photo
NAME BLACK HORSE
ADDRESS SMITHFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1570 1750 CROSS KEYS, Smithford Street
1671 BLACK HORSE
1756 FLOWER DE LUCE AND CROWN, High Street
1795 1926 FLEUR DE LYS, Smithford Street
1822 1823 CROWN AND FLEUR DE LIS
1835 1835 BEERHOUSE
Only one mentionof this premises, in 1671 when it is the Black Horse, formerly known as the Cross Keys.
Known Licensees are;
1729 William Perkins
1820 Richard Dunn
1832 - 1861 John Bailey
1861 - 1868 Mrs Harriett Bailey
1871 - 1874 John Scampton
1879 John Wilcox Oswin
1881 E. B. Twycross
1886 R. Yardley
1890 - 1894 C. Brown
1896 Elizabeth A. Brown
1902 William Sargent Thrasher
1902 George William Roots
1903 H. H. Archer
1904 - 1912 John J. Franklin
1912 - 1922 Thomas Fletcher
1822 - 1823 John Davies
1924 - 1927 L. T. Jacques
1835 John Bailey
Owners;
1820 John Freeman Taylor, Thomas Horsfall, Richard henson Tilt, Edward Hall, William Newsome, Richard Horsfall, William Brown and Thomas Adcock, the survivng trustees of the Vicar Lane Meeting
1896 William & Emma Brain of Oxford
1896 - 1899 Phillips & Marriott
Map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.