title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Black Horse

photo
Much Park Street 1912
NAME BLACK HORSE INN
ADDRESS MUCH PARK STREET
This is a popular sign dating from at least the fourteenth century. Its use appears to be a reflection of its convenience as a visual symbol. By the seventeenth century, the phrase had become the nickname of the 7th Dragoon Guards who had black collars and cuffs on their jackets and rode mainly black horses. The sign was also by this time being used by goldsmiths in Lombard Street, London.

In 1756, four soldiers were billeted here. In1784 Richard Hawkins and Thomas Bissell went to a public house in Much Park Street which was the regular venue of the City's horse fair. They entered the Black Horse Inn to pass forged bills (pound notes). The landlady, whose name was Mrs Yardley, became suspicious and reported them to Alderman Hewitt.
Known licensees;
1784 Mrs Yardley ?

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.