The Black Dog, Whitefriars Street c1960. The Black Dog ceased to be a pub in 1923. To the right of it was another pair of weavers houses with an entry in-between which led to Court No3 (see below). Note the gratings in front of each house which suggest they were all built with coal cellars. Thanks to The Dutchman for the photo.
|ADDRESS||26 WHITEFRIARS STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||40 WHITEFRIARS STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1835||1850||BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Street and BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Lane|
|1850||1919||BLACK DOG, Whitefriars Street
The 'Black Dog of Arden' was Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, in the early fourteenth century. He was one of those who plotted to kill Pier Gaveston, favourite of Edward II, in 1312. There is also a Black Dog in Southam.
This was also the Beerhouse, Whitefriars Lane between 1835 and 1850. This pub appears in the will of 1869 of J. Edwards. In a footnote it states that J. Edwards kept the Black Dove in Whitefriars Street in 1850. We believe this is an error for the Black Dog.
Although the pub closed on 18.2.1913, it is said that the Black Dog Inn sign could still be seen until the mid 1970's.
Known licenses at the BEERHOUSE are;
Dict PN The ' Black Dog of Arden ' was Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick in the early fourteenth century. He was one of those who plotted to kill Piers Gaveston, favourite of Edward II in 1312. There is also a Black Dog at Southam
1835 - 1850 See BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Lane
1850 CR 101/8/211 1869 will of J. Edwards. Footnote : J. Edwards kept the BLACK DOVE in Whitefriars Street in 1850.
We believe this was the BLACK DOG
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
28.9.1866 JA125 CS Transfer of license from Thomas Bates to William Standbridge
9.11.1867 JA141 CS Transfer of license from William Standbridge to Thomas Townsend
27.9.1872 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Ann Townsend to Walter Chatland
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P10 Owner : Mrs Lee, Hertford Terrace
later Walter Chatland
Licensee : Walter Chatland
14.5.1896 TOL to Joseph Henry Lawton
1850 CR 101/8/211 J. Edwards. [ Pub not named
1851 Census Joseph Edwards licensed victualler & weaver, Whitefriars Street
1861 Census Willaim Brain publican & servant, 26 Whitefriars Street
1866 JA125 CS Thomas Bates
1866 JA125 CS William Standbridge
1867 JA141 CS William Standbridge
1867 JA141 CS Thomas Townsend
1868 Buchanan T. Townsend
23.11.1868 Lantern Thomas Townsend
1871 Census Ann Maria Townsend 38 yo b Coventry widow & 1d, 1s
1872 JA141 CS Ann Townsend
1872 JA141 CS Walter Chatland
1874 C&B W. Chatland
1878 LJ Vol 1 P10 Walter Chatland
1879 Stevens Walter Chatland
1881 C&B W. Chatland
1886 C&B W. Chatland
1890/91 R&G W. Chatland
1893 Reporter W. Chatland
1894 R&G W. Chatland
1896 LJ Vol 1 P10 Walter Chatland
1896 LJ Vol 1 P10 Joseph Henry Lawton
1896 R&G Joseph H. Lawton
1898 LJ Vol 1 P10 Joseph Henry Lawton
1903 R&G H. Stringer
1905 R&G J. Lathbury
1909 R&G F. Jackson
1911/12 Spennell John W. Dutson
1912/13 Spennell C.Jenkyns
1919 Spennell Emily Martin Inn, No 40
1878 - 1898 LJ Vol 1 P10 Owner : Mrs Lee, Hertford Terrace
later Walter Chatland
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.