title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Black Boy

photo of Bishop Street in Coventry
Bishop Street looking north 1905
NAME BLACK BOY
ADDRESS BISHOP STREET
The sign was extremely common in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries for coffee houses as well as taverns. The reference was to the personal servant of a rich person. Negro page boys were highly fashionable and must have been distinctive figures dressed in brightly coloured liveries as they inevitably were.

This pub was used for an auction in 1779 and in 1866 the Coventry Standard mentions the transfer of the license from James Hughes to Thomas Bates. In 1838 the licensee, Joseph Cramp, put on a dinner for customers on the occassion of the Coronation of Queen Victoria.
Known licensees
1822 - 1823 John Hyde
1835 - 1841 Joseph Cramp
1866 James Hughes
1866 Thomas Bates

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.