|NAME||BINLEY OAK HOTEL|
|ADDRESS||74 PAYNES LANE|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||27 or 49 PAYNES LANE|
|This pub was named from a local ancient oak tree. The date of 1850 was set in stone in the front of the pub and a new facade was put on in 1895.
In 1859, a Mrs Kingston was murdered in a field near the Binley Oak Hotel. Sergeant Salmon acquired a door on which the body was placed and conveyed to the pub where the inquest was held, in the presence of the corpse, which was displayed in an outbuilding of the Binley Oak.
In 1926 the pub was sold by its owners, Charringtons Brewery. Its annual rent at that time was £140 for the pub, a billiard hall to the rear and a hairdressers shop and living accomodation at 47 Paynes Lane. In the 1980s it was described as a large pub close to the football ground, almost in the shadow of the floodlights, that is Coventry City's old ground at Highfield Road. It was described as a Victorian pub with a central serving area and two small bars. Coventry City Football Club used to train at the rear (this must be in what became the billiards hall).
It had closed by 2010 and was turned to Muslim community use.
1868 - 1890 James Butcher
1893 Willliam Nightingale
1894 - 1896 F. W. Nightingale
1903 - 1927 A. Harris William James Penn
1931 - 1934 E. W. Mason
1935 - 1938 T. H. Benton
1939 - 1940 H. Hayfield
1984 Mick Moore
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.