title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Binley Hotel

photo
NAME BINLEY HOTEL
ADDRESS 88 WILLENHALL LANE
Built around 1926, this pub took its name from the surrounding area and was close to Binley Colliery, which closed in the 1960s. In 1982 it was described as a very popular estate pub and was redecorated in 1981 with some structural alterations. It used diaphragm pumps to dispense its beer, which was most unusual for Coventry. It closed in 1997 and was destroyed by fire in 1999.
Known licensees
1933 - 1940 W. Farley
1958 - 1960 Wilfred Finn (previously at the Five Ways Inn, Harnall Lane from 1957 - 58 and later at the Old Ball, Walsgrave Road in 1960)
c1963 onwards Joseph Carr (also at the Dun Cow, Jordan Well from 1958 -62)

newspaper clipping
A Coventry Evening Telegraph article from 23rd June 1961

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.