title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Biggin Hall Hotel

photo
NAME BIGGIN HALL HOTEL
ADDRESS 214, BINLEY ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 120, BINLEY ROAD
This gets its name from the ancient settlement of Biggin. This is a Norse place name, indicating a Norse settlement south of the Danelaw. Later there was a Biggin Hall on the site. The Biggin Hall Hotel was built in 1923 and stands 430 yards south-west of the original moated Biggin Hall, which stood near the junction of Biggin Hall Crescent and Binley Road. It is a large pub on the main road.
Known Licensees are;
1923 - 1940 John Kelly
1940 - 1948 John Kelly junior
1963 - c1966 Walter Bromley who was previously at the Old Ball Hotel , Stoke from 1960 - 62
1989 - 1995 Mick Carthy
Owners
1923 Marston Thompson and Evershed

photo
newspaper clipping
A Coventry Evening Telegraph article from 28th Jully 1961

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.