Tile Hill, Coventry. Photo © David Stowell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
|ADDRESS||STATION AVENUE, TILE HILL|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||WESTWOOD, STONELEIGH|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1856||present||THE BELL INN, BELL IN THE TREE|
|The bell has a distinctive yet simple shape which has greatly appealed to sign makers through the centuries. Church bells or hand bells are those mainly referred to on pub signs.
Westwood and Tile Hill were once part of the Stoneleigh Estate of Lord Leigh, hence the altenative address of Stoneleigh. The pub has been much modernised and lies near to Tile Hill railway station
Between 1850 and 1856 this was the Wheelwrights Arms. From 1856 it was the Bell, sometimes the Bell in the Tree.
We have a description of the pub in 1906. Then it was a simple ale house with stone floors, scrubbed wooden tables and barrels of Phillips & Marriotts on the bar. The customers were mainly farmers and their labourers, topped up on high days and holidays by the occasional charabanc load from Coventry. On New Years Day, the licensee would put on a huge supper for the villagers. Trestle tables were laid out in the room upstairs, groaning under the weight of great joints of beef, lamb and pork.
Known Licensees are;
|Owners; 1906 Mr Dingley|
A Coventry Evening Telegraph newspaper article from 23rd September 1960
Dict PN Apart from its distinctive sound, it has a conveniently distinctive, yet simple, shape which has greatly appealed to sign makers through the centuries. Church bells and hand bells are those mainly referred to in pub signs.
Westwood and Tile Hill were once part of the Stoneleigh Estate of the Lords Leigh. See Peeping Tom, Burton Green.
It seems likely that Emma Chattaway and Emma Molesworth are the same person re-marrying.
1850 - 1856 JA14 WHEELWRIGHTS ARMS
1856 JA BELL used for auctions
c1904 CSubs P136 Photo
c1917 CWL P 87&88 Photos
23.9.1960 Citypubs 10
1979 WRAG 2 Recently altered
1982 WRAG 3 What looks like an old pub which has been modernised. Many low beams inside. Close to Tile Hill railway station.
1983 Pubscrawl 80 Phil Dingley was seven when he swallowed his first half pint at the Bell in Tile Hill village. The date was 1906 ....... his dad owned the pub. Then it was a simple ale house with stone floors, scrubbed wooden tables and barrels of Phillips and Marriotts on the bar.
Now it is suburban ' olde worlde ' with a low, beamed, ceiling dating back as far as 1971, plush upholstry ........
When Phil Dingley was a lad, the Bell's customers were mainly farmers and their labourers, topped up on high days and holidays by the occassional charabanc load from the big bad city down the road.
On New Years Day his father would puton a huge supper for the villagers. Trestle tables were laid out in the room upstairs, groaning under the weight of great joints of beef, lamb and pork. It was the time of year we saw some buggers, Phil recalled.
1861 Census Mark Chattaway
1863 Kelly Mark Chattaway Bell in the Tree
1868 Buchanan Mark Chattaway
1871 Census mark Chattaway
1874 White Mark Chattaway Bell in the Tree, Tile Hill
1876 Kelly Mark Chattaway Bell in the Tree, Tile Hill, Westwood
1880 Kelly Mrs Emma Chattaway
1888 Kelly George Molesworth
1892 Kelly George Molesworth
1900 Kelly Mrs Emma Molesworth
1904 Kelly Mrs Emma Molesworth
1908 Kelly Mrs Emma Molesworth
1912 Kelly Ernest Oxberrow
8.4.1921 P&M PR Frank Bull manager
1924 Kelly Frank Bull
1931/32 P. James Frank Bull
1933/34 P. James Frank Bull
1935/36 P. James Frank Bull
1937/38 P. James Frank Bull
1939/40 P. James Frank Bull
1921 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.