title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Bell

photo
NAME BELL
PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS BEERHOUSE
ADDRESS 12 OLD CHURCH ROAD, FOLESHILL
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BELL STILES

The bell is a distinctive yet simple shape which has greatly appealed to sign makers through the centuries. Church bells and hand bells are usually those that are referred in pub signs.

In Jobson's Coventry Mercury of 16th April 1764 an auction was advertised at the Bell. From 1830 to 1874 this was the BEERHOUSE, Bell Green, though already known as the Bell. In 1960 it was already thought to be several hundred years old and was owned by Phipps Northampton Brewery. At this time there were residential rooms, much used by the theatrical profession when playing the Coventry theatres. There was said to be a well under the lounge.

By 1979 it had become a Watneys pub and in 1995-6 it was closed and demolished.

Known Licensees are:
1861 John Flavell
1871 John Dunkley
1874 John Flavell
1876 Thomas Simpson
1879 - 1880 James Bunn
1888 Archibald Seymour
1892 - 1908 Samuel Wall
1912 - 1924 Arthur Edward Chaplin
1933 - 1940 T. Walden
1955 - 1957 Jack C. D. Bailey
1962 Bernard O'Keefe
1992 - 1995 Aliot Maynard

Owners
1960 Phipps Northampton Brewery
newspaper clipping

Newspaper clipping from the early 1960s

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.