title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Bear and Bacchus

photo
NAME BEAR AND BACCHUS
ADDRESS STONEY STANTON ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES RED HOUSE ROAD, NEW ROAD
The bear is the emblem of Warwickshire and Bacchus was the Roman god of wine. Why join the two together in this name? Is it a corruption of Bear & Bacculus, a bacculus being Latin for a stick or staff or is it a conflation of Bear and Ragged Staff and Beer and Bacchus?

Our first reference is in 1800, when the Bear and Bacchus was to let. Its location was given as near to the Folshill House of Industry. In 1864 this inn was selected by the Inspector of Weights and Measures as the place for local traders to bring their weights and measures to be checked.
Known licensees
1841 - 1850 John Johnson
1861 - 1868 Andrew Allett
1871 Henry Adkins (See also at Dolphin, Cross Cheaping in 1868)

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.