title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Bath Hotel

photo

Situated at 35 Smithford Street, the ‘Old Baths Hotel’, which is known to have existed at least 75 years before this picture was taken, finally closed when Smithford Street was redeveloped. Mr. H. Hewitt is seen here proudly standing in front of his premises; the sign above advertising his noted home brewed ales, at 3d, 4d, 5d & 6d per quart. These premises were used by carriers conveying passengers to and from Allesley and Meriden. Good stabling was also offered, the entrance to the yard at the rear of the premises being seen to the left.

NAME BATH HOTEL
ADDRESS 35 SMITHFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1829 BATH HOTEL, 35 Smithford Street
1835 COVENTRY WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS
1841 1861 WINE AND SPIRITS MERCHANTS
1865 VAULTS, 35 Smithford Street, PUBLIC HOUSE
1861 1871 BEERHOUSE 35 Smithford Street
1867 1868 BOARD, 35 Smithford Street
1868 BEERHOUSE, Broadgate
1868 1871 SPIRIT VAULTS, 35 Smithford Street
1871 LIQUOR VAULTS, 35 Smithford Street
1881 WHOLESALE WINE AND SPIRIT MERCHANT
1883 1951 OLD BATHS HOTEL

This name is a reference to the original Coventry public baths. These were opened in 1852 at the end of Hales Street. They were replaced by new baths in Priory Street in 1894 but the old baths stood until being demolished for the fire station in 1902. There must have been baths in the area before 1852, however, as in 1829 a new license was granted to the Bath Hotel, Smithford Street. In the 1835 directory the name is also just ' Bath ', although also in 1835 we have COVENTRY WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS late the BATH HOTEL. In 1865 a new license was issued to re-open a pub at 35 Smithford Street.

Then the premises becomes more associalted with Wine and Spirit Merchants. In an 1866 directory No 35 Smithford Street is occupied by John Dell, dealer in Wines and Spirits. In 1867 and 1868 it is called the BOARD. From 1868 to 1874 it is the SPIRIT VAULTS or LIQUOR VAULTS and in 1881 it is occupiued by Charles Reynolds Mattocks, a Wholesale Wine & Spirit Merchant. In 1883 it is the OLD BATHS WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS before becoming simply the OLD BATHS HOTEL

In 1911 the licensee, Henry Hewitt, went into partnership with Frederick Kerby to manufacture motorcycles. The Roulette Cycle Company had premises at 84 Gosford Street and motorcycle manufacture ended with the Great War in 1914 when the company concentrated on bicycles until closing in 1919. In 1931 and 1932 the hotel advertised 'prime ales; choice wines and spirits'. It closed on 31st May 1951 to make way for the Precinct. The license was transferred to the Silver Sword.

Licensees
1829 John Jordan
1835 Edward Cherry

this is the period when it had any number of different names

1861 - 1867 John Dell Wine merchant
1865 George Addison
1867 Henry Bailey Maltster, Wine & Spirit Merchant
1867 - 1868 Joseph & Henry Suffolk Wine & spirit merchants

1871 Mary Suffolk
1883 Thomas Bells
1886 T. Smallwood
1890 - 1891 H. Warner
1893 - 1903 A. Warner
1905 T. Walters
1909 - 1913 Harry Hewitt
1919 William James Boxall
1924 - 1929 H. J. Temberton
1931 - 1936 G. McCutchion
1937 - 1938 H.Payne
1939 - 1940 E. E. Aves

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.