|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS||MISFORD STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS ALSO KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
This pub is only known from one directory, Whites of 1874. It is thought to have been previously the GOLDEN BALL
This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past, probably because it was a simple visual symbol. It appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity.
In 1787 an auction was hekd at the sign of the BALL, and in 1801 it was adverised to let. By 1874 it ihas become the THREE HORSESHOES, although this was at No 40
Dict PN The convenience of this visual symbol has made it a popular sign since the fifteenth censtury.
16.4.1787 JA34 JCM To be sold to the best bidder at the dwelling of Anthony Rawlins known as the sign of the Ball, Bishop Street.
c1800 COC P42 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem
1822 JA25 CCA/2/3/310/24-25 Lease and release dated 20 & 21.12.1822 auction of a messuage at Joseph Dunn's Ball Inn. No address given
c1837 CR 101/8/731 Will of Edward ( II ) Phillips left to Alfred Phillips. Occupied by T. Elton
c1837 CR 101/8/732 Left of W. H. Buckland
23.5.1848 JA62 CH&O Transfer of license of Old Ball, Bishop Street from James Keene to
- ? - Gillings
from 1822 JA69 GOLDEN BALL
1787 JA34 JCM Anthony Rawlins
1822 JA25 CCA/2/3/310/24-25 Joseph Dunn
1837 CR101/8/731 T. Elron
c1837 CR 101/8/731 Edward ( II ) Phillips
c1837 CR 101/8/731 Alfred Phillips.
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.