title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Arcade Vaults

market street

Market Street 1940

NAME ARCADE VAULTS
ALTERNATIVE NAMES ARCADE TAVERN
ADDRESS 6 MARKET STREET
This name came from the Market Arcade, part of Coventry's market area before the destruction of the Second World War. The present day City Arcade is in quite a different position.

On 30th March 1866 Mrs Harriett Forsyth opened a beer and porter house called the Arcade. Until 1866 it was called the Arcade Tavern, from that year until closure it was the Arcade Vaults.The pub closed in 1906 when the owner accepted compensation. Interestingly, the owner was James Phillips, who may have been a member of the brewing family. The Arcade Vaults were leased in 1899 for 21 years by Phipps of Northampton, so they were still leasing the premises as two unlicensed shops after the pub was closed. They were paying £75 and £65-10s for the two shops.
Known licensees
1868 - 1881 Harriet Forsyth (Mrs W. Forsyth)
1886 J. Whitaker
1890 S. Miles
1893 - 1894 George Charles Phillips
1896 - 1905 John H. Cadman
map


+ -
Click here to see Research

Name From City Arcade ( market )

30.3.1866 JA CM Mrs Harriett Forsyth opened a beer and porter house called the Arcade. By 1907 it had beome the City Meat Stores.

28.8.1878 LV Vol 1 P15 ARCADE, Market Street Alehouse
Owner : John Twitty Eburne, Smithford Street, Coventry
later James Phillips, Market Vaults, Market Street, late of Radford Road, Leamington
Licensee : Harriet Forsyth
11.3.1886 TOL to James Whitaker
10.1.1889 TOL to Thomas Smallwood
1.8.1889 TOL to Sam Miles
6.3.1890 TOL to Frederick William Inwood
16.4.1891 TOL to William Allen Taylor
30.7.1891 TOL to George Charles Phillips
6.12.1894 TOL to Jahn Henry Cadman
1.4.1889 fined £ 2 & costs 12/6 for keeping open
20.6.1889 fined £ 5 & costs 15/6 for gaming

c1890 It appears to have held the name Tavern until c1890 when, under Sam Miles, it became Vaults

16.10.1906 Police Closed. Owner accepted compensation.

Source 17 Phipps Estate Ledger C P227

Phipps Estate ledger D P528
Unlicensed properties in Coventry
Shop late Arcade Vaults, Coventry
Two shops, Coventry, late Arcade Vaults
Owner James Phillips. lease for 21 years from April 29, 1899
Rent payable £ 75
Rent £ 65.10

LICENSEES

1868 Buchanan Mrs W. Forsyth Tavern
1871 Census Harriett Forsyth 48yo b Coventry & 1s
1874 C&B H. Forsyth Tavern
1878 LV Vol 1 P15 Harriet Forsyth
1879 Stevens Mrs Harriett Forsyth Tavern
1881 C&B H. Forsyth Tavern
1886 LV Vol 1 P15 Harriet Forsyth
1886 LV Vol 1 P15 James Whitaker
1886 C&B J. Whittaker Tavern
1889 LV Vol 1 P15 James Whitaker
1889 LV Vol 1 P15 Thomas Smallwood
1889 LV Vol 1 P15 Sam Miles
1890/91 R&G S. Miles Vaults
1890 LV Vol 1 P15 Sam Miles
1890 LV Vol 1 P15 Frederick William Inwood
1891 LV Vol 1 P15 Frederick William Inwood
1891 LV Vol 1 P15 William Allen Taylor
1891 LV Vol 1 P15 George Charles Phillips
1893 Reporter G. C. Phillips Vaults
1894 R&G George Charles Phillips Vaults
1894 LV Vol 1 P15 George Charles Phillips
1894 LV Vol 1 P15 John Henry Cadman
1896 R&G John Cadman Vaults
1898 LV Vol 1 P15 John Henry Cadman
1903 R&G John H. Cadman Vaults
1905 R&G John H. Cadman Vaults



OWNERS

1878 LV Vol 1 P15 John Twitty Eburne, Smithford Street, Coventry
later LV Vol 1 P15 James Phillips, Market Vaults, Market Street, late of Radford Road, Leamington
1898 LV Vol 1 P15 James Phillips, Market Vaults, Market Street, late of Radford Road, Leamington

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.