title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Albany Hotel

photo of The Albany pub in Coventry
NAME ALBANY HOTEL
ALTERNATIVE NAMES THE ALBANY
ADDRESS 24 ALBANY ROAD
The youngest son of Queen Victoria was Leopold Duncan Albert, styled the Duke of Albany. Albany was a poetic name for Britain in the same mould as 'Albion'.

In 1907 the licenses of the Blue Pig, Gosford Street, and the Sun Dial in Lord Street were surrendered in consideration of a new license for the Albany Hotel and the pub was subsequently built. Albany Road, originally known as Earlsdon Road, was declared a highway on February 16, 1897. The following year, the Duchess of Albany visited Coventry to open St Thomas's church bazaar and the name was changed to Albany Road.

The pub was built by Marston, Thompson and Evershed. Planning permission had been granted in 1903 for a much smaller pub than was actually built, which presumably explains why the site seems a little cramped. In the past this has been an extremely popular pub, especially with students.
Known Licensees are;
1909 - 1919 John H. Bates
1921 - 1932 H. Brown
1932 - 1951 W. M. Stockall
1951 - 1961 Hugh Henry Heath
1983 Annie Oakes
newspaper clipping
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.