title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Adam and Eve

photo of The Acorn
NAME ADAM AND EVE
ALTERNATIVE NAMES later ACORN
ADDRESS MILL STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES COOK STREET, COX STREET
Adam and Eve were the arms of the Fruiterers Company, although whether this has any connection to this pub I really don't know.

It was in existence by 1756 as at this date two soldiers were billeted there. In 1769 it was to let and in 1787 a dwelling house formerly the Adam and Eve was for sale. It didnt last long as a private dwelling as in 1790 it was adverised as the Adam and Eve again. In 1801 it was to let and in 1861 was for sale. It was bought in the following year by John Buckingham. Ther is some confusion as to when it became the ACORN as the Adam and Eve is listed in Kelly's and White's directory in 1876, yet the Acorn appears in the Lantern in 1868 and Curtis nd Beamish's directory of 1874 ! Since the same families appear in these over-lapping entries, it is safe to assume that the Adam and Eve and Acorn were one and the same pub. From photographs this was a very small building but at the 1841 census it was occupied by the licensee, William Deemin, and nine family members!
Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 W. Read
1835 - 1841 William Deemin
1849 James Yardley
1849 James Hawkin s
1850 - 1851 Joseph Burgess
1861 - 1863 John Buckingham
1863 James Deacon
1874 Elizabeth Saint-Cole
1876 William Henry Gardner

Research

Dict PN Arms of the Fruiterers Company

1756 Alderman Hewitt 2 soldiers billeted

1769 JA23 JCM 14.8.1769 Premises to let

1787 JA23 JCM 28.5.1787 Advert. A dwellimghouse formerlyknown as the ADAM & EVE was for sale - Wilson : it is believed the purchaser then opened the premises as a school.

1790 JA23 JCM 19.4.1790 Advert ADAM & EVE corner of Mill Lane - to let ( so back in use as a tavern ).

c1800 COC P41 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem

1801 JA23 JCM 9.3.1801 To let

1849 JA23 CS 12.1.1849 License transferred from James Yardley to James Hawkins

1861 JA23 ADAM & EVE for sale

1862 JA23 CS 21.2.1862 Purchased by John Buckingham

1863 JA23 CS 8.5.1863 License transferred from John Buckingham to James Deacon

 

LICENSEES

1861 Census John Buckingham, 1 Cox Street, innkeeper. Name of pub not given
1862 JA23 CS 21.2.1862 John Buckingham
1863 JA23 CS 8.5.1863 John Buckingham
1863 JA23 CS 8.5.1863 James Deacon
1874 JA23 White Elizabeth Saint-Cole
1874 JA23 Lascelles Elizabeth Saint-Cole
1876 JA23 Kelly William Henry Gardner
1876 JA23 White William Henry Gardner

 

OWNERS

1862 JA23 CS 21.2.1862 John Buckingham

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.